Humber River Bridge
The Humber River Bridge is being expanded to accommodate four additional
bridge spans and the current at-grade rail crossing will be replaced by a tunnel
that will be built under the rail corridor crossing, providing a safer passage
for Weston Golf and Country Club members.
- July 31 – In July, concrete deck slabs were installed to
accommodate three additional tracks on the Humber River Bridge. Remediation
of the Humber riverbank is also complete. In addition, the south access ramp
has been removed and temporary construction access areas under the bridge
have been re-graded. What to expect in the coming months:
- Bridge waterproofing will be completed in August.
- Substantial completion of the project in September.
- Construction start: April 2011
- Construction complete: Fall 2014
- Humber River Bridge
- Bridge piers will be expanded on the north side to accommodate the
- The new span will effectively be double what it is today
- Cart Path Tunnel
- The tunnel will be built under the rail corridor crossing between
holes 4 and 5 - completed
- It will be suitable for all golfers and maintenance and will be
designed to meet accessibility and safety features
- Traffic - Installation of tie backs for the Humber River Bridge
abutment structure will be installed. The nature of the soil is such
that the presence of mud will be close to Weston Road. The right lane
closure is to ensure safety of motorists during work.
How this will affect you
- The construction schedule has been designed to minimize the amount of
work on the Weston Golf and Country Club property during golf season
- Crossing protection will be provided to safely escort golfers at the
existing level crossing during construction
- The landscaping will be restored to its current state
- The 3rd hole tee box will be relocated
- The new tracks will be continuous welded rail and the new spans will
be ‘closed’ ballast decks for a quieter passage of trains
Design consultant: Hatch Mott MacDonald, AECOM
Construction contractor: Bot Engineering & Construction Limited
For more information on the Humber River Bridge (Weston Golf and Country
Club), please contact the Weston Community Office at 416-241-2300.